It has been a busy month here at the studio!  Last semester ended and I took a much needed break from the weather in Chicago and headed to the East Coast for three weeks.

Coming in to the summer I find myself really obsessed with color theory.  Maybe because, as Victoria Finlay writes in her book Color,    "....in art, perhaps more obviously than anywhere else, its the shadows and the shit which make the light parts believable." My first Chicago winter was definitely the longest winter I've experienced, not only because of the length (and it really does last forever) but also, and I'm not normally too personal here, because the theme of my winter was never-ending transition combined with profound loss.  The weather is warmer now and things are looking up.



Visiting the East Coast was fantastic.  It was interesting to talk to all my friends in New York about their recent experiences with the photo industry.  The overwhelming attitude right now seems to be frustration regarding bidding on, estimating and negotiating fees for projects.  I celebrated my birthday in DC with my family and friends and saw some amazing exhibits at the museums.  You really can't beat the free museums in DC, I took my 4 year old niece to a Blinky Palermo retrospective and the ColorForms exhibit at the Hirshhorn, by far my favorite.



I'm not teaching any classes over the summer semester, instead taking this time to concentrate on getting settled again, freelancing more and working on the details of an exciting new project.

I have been very lucky to work with some great Chicago locals over the past few weeks: Stylist Courtney Rust; Photo reps Hennessy Represents and Kim Knight Represents; and Levinson Locations.

I also had the opportunity to work with non-local Martin Schoeller last week and I'm sure his crew will be discussing my amazing parallel parking job of the production van for weeks to come.



Lots of exciting new projects in the works so stay tuned!!



No comments: