This week of classes has been the best,  I love when I also learn something new and the subject matter I've been teaching is validated.  We are nearing the end of the semester and have had a couple of guest speakers/studio visits.  While nearly impossible to schedule they are so worth it for the students.  Had I been given this kind of information when I was in photography school I would have saved about 6 months of figuring it out on my own.

Last night we had the amazing Jacob Hand come in to class to discuss the protocols of being a photo assistant.  Jacob is an excellent speaker and a wealth of information.  He is also a very capable photographer who has left assisting and struck out on his own, look him up!

Today we visited the venerable Hedrich Blessing studio.  Dave Burk, one of the principle photographers, was kind enough to give the students a tour of their amazing (and HUGE) studio and talk to them about the business side of things. 

It is wonderful for the students to have access to these people while still in school and takes a little pressure off.  Leaving the resources and umbrella of school to begin your career can be quite intimidating but there are tips that more established photographers can give you on how to start out in the industry.  Have a question?  Just ask.

No comments: